Monsignor John David Anderson of Wahpeton, ND peacefully entered eternal life on Good Shepard Sunday, April 25, 2010.
Funeral mass will be Thursday, April 29, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. at St. Philip’s Catholic Church, Hankinson, ND with Most Rev. Samuel J. Aquila, Bishop of the Catholic Diocese, Fargo. Burial will be at Calvary Cemetery, Hankinson, ND. Visitation will be Wednesday, April 28, 2010 from 4:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. with a prayer service at 7:00 p.m. all at St. Philip’s Church. There will also be visitation one hour prior to the service at the church. In lieu of flowers send memorials to St. John’s School Building Fund, Wahpeton, ND.
Monsignor Anderson was born on March 30, 1935 in St. Paul, MN. His family moved to Wahpeton in 1940. He attended and graduated from St. John’s Catholic Grade School and Wahpeton High School. His education continued at NDSCS, University of ND and the Catholic University of America, Washington, DC. His formal studies for the priesthood were at St. John’s University, Collegeville, MN and St. Paul’s Seminary, St. Paul, MN.
Monsignor Anderson was ordained into priesthood on June 2, 1962 in St. Mary’s Cathedral, Fargo, ND, by Bishop Leo Dworschak. His first appointment was associate pastor at St. Anthony of Padua Church, Fargo, ND and serving on the faculty of Shanley High School and Cardinal Muench Seminary until 1966.
Monsignor was then assigned as associate pastor of St. John’s Church, Grafton, ND, remaining in that assignment until June 1969.
In July of 1969 Monsignor became Chancellor of the Diocese of Fargo, working closely with then Bishop Leo Dworschak. Upon Bishop Dworschak’s retirement, Monsignor began working with Bishop Justin Driscoll. As Chancellor of the Diocese, Monsignor was a member of the Diocesan administrative staff and the Marriage Tribunal. His duties also included being chaplain at Sacred heart Convent, Fargo.
In August of 1977 he was assigned pastor of St. Patrick’s, Enderlin, St. Mary’s, Sheldon and St. Henry’s, Alice. Monsignor enjoyed this assignment spending the next 14 years bringing three parishes together as a community.
In July 1991, he was assigned as pastor of St. Philip’s Parish, Hankinson, ND. Due to poor health he resigned as pastor of St. Philip’s and retired from active ministry in July 1999.
In June 2002 he was given the title of Monsignor by Pope John Paul II, a worthy honor to recognize his faithfulness to his priesthood.
Monsignor enjoyed growing flowers, vacationing in AZ & traveling, spending his time with his priest friends, entertaining guests, meeting new people. He was a wise and understanding counselor, patient with his limitations dealing with Parkinson’s Disease for 10 years. He had a great sense of humor and was a resident of St. Gerard’s Community Nursing Home for 6 years.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Simon and Genevieve and a younger brother, Charles Anderson.
He is survived by his brother, Deacon James Anderson, Wahpeton, ND, sister-in-law, Theresa Anderson and Randy & Kathy Mauch, Mooreton, ND, two special angels who gave generously of their time & love.